Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Lost and Found


IMG_7573.JPG, originally uploaded by nelliesphotos.

Why am I posting a picture of a small red wallet? Glad you asked. You see, in July of 2006, we were visiting my brother-in-law on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. We were walking through downtown when I stopped in the town's public park to use the restroom. This little wallet was on top of the paper towel dispenser.

I opened it up, and saw a wad of cash inside, with no identification. So, I walked across the street to the police station (yes, it was literally right across the street!) and turned it in. We left them my brother-in-law's phone number, since we live quite far away. They said if no one claimed it after 90 days, they would call, and it would be mine.

I marked 90 days on the calendar, which came and went. Then, this August, we called my brother-in-law for his birthday and he said, "Guess who I got a call from today." Of course, it was from the police station and they said no one had claimed the wallet, so it was mine! (I am not sure why it took 13 months for them to call, but it was a huge surprise.)

The wallet had (are you ready?) - $175 CDN in it!

That is why I posted a picture of the little red wallet.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Cool! I bet it was like Christmas at your house when you got the wallet back! So does Mom get something special out of the deal??? :)

Nellie said...

Unfortunately, I handed over the entire $170 in bills to my brother-in-law. We owed them for wedding and anniversary gifts that they had purchased for family over the past couple of months. So, I got nothing "special" out of the deal!

However, we did decide to take a float plane ride from Nanaimo to Vancouver on the way home when we were there a few weeks ago, and that was pretty special!